TV star's boost for dyslexic youngsters in Bristol

Adventurer Charley Boorman roared into a south Bristol school to meet children involved in a literacy programme.

Charley, who is best known for his globetrotting biking travels with fellow actor Ewan McGregor in the television series Long Way Round and Long Way Down, as well as his own expedition from Ireland To Sydney By Any Means, is the new president of Dyslexia Action.

He visited Waycroft Primary in Stockwood, where pupils have been taking part in a scheme run by Dyslexia Action and known as Partnership for Literacy (P4L).

It takes a "whole school" approach to helping children and is proving very successful.

Mr Boorman said: "School was not something I excelled at and I think everyone gave up on me! I now know I am dyslexic but no one knew it at the time."

His role at Dyslexia Action will be to promote awareness and understanding of the condition, as well as raising funds. He said: "I feel very strongly that if the right help and support is available it can make a real difference."

Charley also visited St Barnabas School in Portishead and the Dyslexia Action centre in Whiteladies Road, Bristol.