Septuagenarian triumphs over dyslexia thanks to tutor

Recently, I read a book for the first time. This may not seem like much. However, for an individual in his 70s, this meant the world to me. I spent decades living in shame and fear of being “found out.” I refused countless promotions just so my co-workers would not learn I could not read.

I wanted to send my wife a birthday card. I picked out the most beautiful card I could find. My wife told me I actually had selected a sympathy card for her.

About a year ago, I went to a free reading program offered by Literacy Services of Indian River County Inc. It is a nonprofit organization that helps adults, like me, learn how to read through volunteer tutors. I am reading my fourth book, and my wife and I now fight over who gets to read the newspaper first in the morning.

My issue with reading stems from dyslexia. Research demonstrates that dyslexia is a neurological condition and can be genetic. It is not mortally fatal but can be spiritually fatal to an individual living with it. Historically, students with dyslexia have been ignored, labeled “dumb” and generally put in the back of the room and left alone.

This was my fate. The reality is that those with dyslexia are generally bright and eager to learn.

For example, Albert Einstein was dyslexic. I hope this letter debunks some of the dyslexia myths that are out there. It is important for individuals with dyslexia to know they are not dumb and that they can learn how to read notwithstanding the learning disability.

Please seek help!

I encourage everyone in our community and elsewhere to become a volunteer tutor, help financially, or just increase literacy awareness. I know I will do my part. 

Edward Hall 

http://www.tcpalm.com/